March 20, 2017
The third installment of this series continues the challenge issued last November and continued this past January. That challenge was and remains to test your general ‘County IQ’. Part III examines the businesses, organizations and famous names that still dot our county memories. The fourth and final installment will appear in May 2017. 1. Frank Shankland (1916) and
March 31, 2014
Located on Mentor Avenue, Havel’s Flowers and Greenhouses are a family run third generation business. Established in 1936, this ornamental greenhouse entranceway was salvaged and brought to Mentor in 1937 from the George Ball estate at Gordon Park location in Cleveland. Remarkable Lake County — Mentor’s Cityscape Drive the streets of Mentor and it is
July 17, 2013
We are busily planning the details for the historically-correct interior of Steele Mansion. Thanks to the descendant of George Steele, who lives locally, we have pictures of the Mansion from the 1870’s. Several pieces of furniture are on hand that closely resemble the original furnishings. A previous blog detailed the large mirrors that will hang
May 6, 2013
‘We All Come From The Past’ is a famous line from Russell Baker’s 1982 memoir “Growing Up”. He wrote that children ought to know what it was that went into their making, to know that life is a braided cord of humanity stretching from a time long gone-one that cannot be defined by the span
March 15, 2013
Construction continues at Steele Mansion. The front part of the building, the most important portion of the historic restoration, was successfully stabilized during the first year of building.
February 6, 2013
The Times Are Changing! We Are At A Crossroads! We Are At A Turning Point! A while back our local historical society got on the band-wagon and joined the social media network in hopes that we might reach a larger and emerging audience. By embracing these new medias we hope to help today’s generation to
January 30, 2013
Steele Mansion was built in 1867 for George Steele, a wealthy and powerful man of the era. An 1867 newspaper article declared that it was the grandest home in Painesville! The French second empire home had 8 Italian marble fireplaces, front windows imported from France and ornate walnut wood doors and trim. The entire third floor was a ballroom. The Steele family lived in the front portion of the building. A two story rear wing housed the servants.